VALUED CUSTOMERS & FRIENDS+
Great news! The LADWP board took action essential to promoting LA’s health, resilience, and beauty this month.
Board members renewed turf rebates with modifications we believe will help LA achieve water independence and stormwater compliance goals even faster. Better still, these standards simultaneously further an authentic, lush, and leafy aesthetic for the city.
Keep your eyes peeled – we expect to see beauty popping up everywhere!
Cassy and Kirk Aoyagi
Garden for Grades
By Cassy Aoyagi: The Yosh heads off to kindergarten this year. His five years have been filled with native flowers, birds, butterflies and plenty of outdoor time. Here are the top seven reasons I hope my kid and yours have plenty of the same at school. Read More
August is a proving ground for authentic, native gardens. Just as rose bushes die back, and traditional turf grasps for its green, native blooms and grasses bring a final celebration of summer to our gardens.
Blooming Now in LA
The pom-pom blooms of California native buckwheats emerged just in time for Homecoming. Their creams, russets, deep pinks, and sulphur yellows are cheering from our gardens. Get a load of these beauties and so many more: Blooming Now
Sustaining Your Garden
Like kids taking advantage of every last summer moment, natives are soaking up this heat! They require much less water than traditional foliage. Here is what we’ll be doing to keep them happy in the dog days of summer.
Get Ready for Growth:
- Remove volunteers, invasive plants and infectious material to reduce plants and disease
- Rinse foliage to keep it lovely and improve transpiration in high heat
- Prune oak trees to maintain form and shade
- Clip the prettiest cut flowers and foliage for indoor bouquets
- Set the stage with extra lighting, heating and container gardens at party time!
Protect Garden Beauty from Drought:
- Eliminate run-off, overspray and leaks
- Water by hand where necessary
- Give mature trees a deep soak once a month
- Mulch to refresh garden beds and retain water