ENJOY A HASSLE-FREE, OUTDOOR THANKSGIVING
October 12, 2020. By Oscar Ortega: While this year it may be a necessity, hosting Thanksgiving outdoors has become tradition for many of our clients. Why? It’s fun! Giving thanks outside saves time and hassle, simply by extending the timeline for preparations. Follow our weekly checklist to ensure nothing distracts you from the main event, whether that is family, food or football.
November 1: Create a Ground Plan
While your home’s floor plan determines the flow of an indoor Thanksgiving, outdoor entertaining can give you and your guests greater freedom.
This weekend, identify two to three gathering points that will ensure a nice physically distanced flow as guests collect food, beverages, and gather with one another.
November 7: Do Some Dirty Work
Cleaning can feel just as onerous as cooking! Luckily the deep cleaning done outside can last all year. Much of the deep cleaning for an outdoor Thanksgiving can be done weeks in advance, or at your leisure over several weeks. This weekend:
- Prune and dead-head plants, particularly focal points
- Plant colorful fill-ins where needed: Big Blooming Screen and Fall Color Sustainability
- Add fresh mulch for a clean look and fresh cedar fragrance
- Scrub down lights, rocks, and containers
- Plant containers to add bursts of color
November 18: Plan the Menu
- Whether or not you’ve planted fall veggies, your native garden may have ingredients to share:
November 23: Do the Heavy Lifting
- Much of the heavy lifting can be completed the weekend or even the week before Thanksgiving. This is time to:
November 24: Morning Workout
With all the deep cleaning and heavy lifting out of the way, Thanksgiving morning cleaning becomes a joyful stroll in the garden:
- Give walkways and patios a good sweep
- Wipe off outdoor furniture
- Pick fresh veggies and herbs from the garden
November 24: Final Touches
- Set the table to ensure it can withstand a fall breeze
- Have blankets ready for those who get cold in the evening
- Have kids gather fall leaves for fun and fall craft projects
- Cook, serve and enjoy!
Of course, if you want a completely hassle-free Thanksgiving with peace of mind that every outdoor detail is handled, contact us. We’ll walk through your space together, planning the layout and the timeline of tasks to ensure your party is as memorable to you as it is to your guests. In any case, we at FormLA wish you a beautiful, fun-filled and very Happy Thanksgiving!