Take These 5 Steps When Fires Are Near
Wildfires cast embers that can travel miles looking for a new home. These embers tend to be the culprits in structure loss. They look for places where they can gather and ignite ready-to-burn, dry fuels. Here are five steps you can take to make your home a less attractive place for them to visit.
If a fire is nearby, take these 5 steps:
- Remove and store cushions and fabrics from outdoor furniture
- Store brooms, rakes, shovels, fabric gloves, etc. that may otherwise be kept out for convenience
- Clear gatherings of leaves away from structures and out of gutters
- Remove any dead or dry material from the landscape
- Hydrate areas that look or feel dry